23 November 2010 - 20:30

Israel bugged the mobile phones of members of Lebanon's Hizbollah, allowing it to send false text messages and to track the phones' movements, a senior Hizbollah MP and a government expert said on Tuesday

(AhlulBayt News Agency) - Israel bugged the mobile phones of members of Lebanon's Hizbollah, allowing it to send false text messages and to track the phones' movements, a senior Hizbollah MP and a government expert said on Tuesday.

"The enemy [Israel] has succeeded in planting secret lines ... in the mobile phones of some members of the resistance," Hizbollah MP Hassan Fadlallah said in reference to his Shiite party at a press conference with Telecommunications Charbel Nahhas.

"After a lengthy, complex investigation ... it was revealed that three resistance members were using local mobile phones which had been deliberately sold to them after being implanted with secret Israeli lines" by a Lebanese spying for Israel, he said.

Fadlallah, chairman of parliament's media and telecommunications committee, said the Shiite movement had cracked the case in coordination with military intelligence after police zeroed in on the three Hizbollah members as possible Israeli agents.

It turned that the three suspected agents were in fact the victims of the Israeli bugging, Fadlallah said.

A ministry expert at the news conference confirmed that the infiltration meant Israel could send out text messages and other information from the phones.

They could also track the movements of the phones and listen in on any conversations wherever they were, he said.

Fadlallah, who reiterated Hizbollah's belief that Israel had control over Lebanon's telecommunications, spoke following unconfirmed reports that three high-ranking members of the Shiite group were implicated in the 2005 murder of ex-premier Rafik Hariri.

His comments also came a day after the release of a report by the Canadian Broadcasting Corp. that cited extensive telecom evidence linking Hizbollah to the murder.

But Fadlallah denied that the revelation came in reaction to any of the reports, saying the press conference had been scheduled weeks ago.

Tensions are brewing in Lebanon as the UN-backed Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL) is reportedly set in the coming months to issue an indictment over the 2005 killing of Hariri and 22 others in a Beirut bombing.

End item/ 159